Sunday, February 25, 2007

ooh la la!

Yes, I kid you not, this is where I am!
Outside the Louvre
Arc de Triomphe - but sideways!
The Sophie has landed ‘sur seine’. The flight was fairly hideous due to my inability to sleep but watching 4 movies in a row was fun. The stop-over in Dubai was short but fascinating, looking down on the city as we took off I kind of wished I taken longer stopover.
I arrived in a blue-skied Paris at mid-day, customs was a breeze, a glance at the passport, a quick stamp and I was in (to those who prayed for me a big thanks!) The father of the children I’ll be caring for picked me up from the airport and we drove very fast through Paris and to their home. I had forgotten the smell of French cities, it’s not at all unpleasant just entirely different to home, I shall be walking around talking big sniffing gulps for days to come.
I have actually had to repress squeals of delight in order to maintain my air of cool, calm confidence. I’m not sure where to start but so far SO GOOD!!!!
Lets get some bullet point action happening so y’all don’t get bored,

Here goes: An overview of squeal-inducing moments.

* I now live one block from the Seine river on a tree-lined street.

* My apartment is wonderful, like a dolls house (cosy!) and very modern (white everywhere).

* Crusty baguette with butter, home-made chocolate mousse, 4 varieties of cheese (I actually have to rave about one called ‘lapoisse’, so soft you needed a spoon to attack it and the most amazing flavour, yum!) A beautiful red wine, whole baked sea bass.

* Across the street from me are some gorgeous examples of mansions built during Baron Haussman’s extensive renovations of the city in the mid 19th century. I am a bit of a geek when it comes to the history of Paris, and promise to torture readers with many more tidbits of this sort.

* Two of the children are away on school holidays, but the one I have met is adorable, cheeky and has heaps of character.
I should stop now, time to set out and do some exploring!

1 comment:

Scotty said...

I am officially jealous. On my trip I had the dubious distinction of going to France three times without making it to Paris. C'est la vie! Lack of funds. It's funny trying to come up with photos featuring yourself when you are travelling solo.