Friday, March 2, 2007

water water everywhere...


food wot I eat here.
Originally uploaded by nz fille.

Salut tout le monde!

The more I immerse in french the harder I find it to speak/write english well! But i'll try to keep focussed and give a petit summary of the last few days.

•Flooding from a blocked pipe in my kitchen, creates large puddle in main foyer and results in visit from very latino plumber (lots of loud exclamations and big arm movements). Verdict tomorrow - will my whole kitchen have to be ripped out?

•Take trip to Monoprix, where everything is not one price but good value nevertheless. Realise that it doesn't matter if I don't have a kitchen as will happily live on chocolate, fresh algerian dates and fromage blanc for the next few weeks. Decide that as a tourist attraction Monoprix is so up there with the Eiffel tower, visting local supermarkets great education for anyone in a foreign country.

•Have to pretend to have an american accent like previous au pairs so that children don't get confused by the instruction to 'go to bid' and 'get in the buth'.

•Spend an evening getting valuable lessons in 'real french' from 3 lightening-tounged french girls. They speak so fast and with so much 'verlan' that my head spins trying to keep up.
*verlan is where a word is inverted, like blog would be 'golb'.
So anyway, better leave the golb now and get some peels.

3 comments:

jessIe said...

haha! simply amazing!

I can imagine you having a ball speaking in a corney american accent!! I know I would.

baha!!

my blog is here: http://www.jessienewton.blogspot.com

a new kitchen could be fun...?!

Scotty said...

So the plumber wasn't some young French talk, dark and handsome beefcake?

It sounds like your a really getting into life already.

sophie said...

argh! No the plumber was a 50 something short and stocky crabcake. And then the one who came back today taught me a lot of new french swear words.