Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Towards the end of my stay in Toulon I took a day trip to a little town called Cassis. It's right on the coast, about half an hour by train from Toulon, and I really love it there. I visited the town back in 2004 when I was in France on exchange. I'm not sure quite how we stumbled across it but Mum and I stayed there for a couple of days and I enjoyed it so much that I knew I wanted to go back if possible. Also I was absolutely desperate for a swim and knew that the spectacular Calanques would offer sparkling turquoise water and relative tranquility!
The day I visited it was stinking hot and there were heaps of people due to it being school holidays. I avoided the worst of it by seeking repose in the Calanques. The Calanques are kind of like little fjords I suppose, they cut into the white limestone creating spectacular cliffs and little bays. It's a bit of a hike to access them by foot but well worth it, and after slipping your way across the soapy rocks in the hot sunshine the crystal waters are fantastic!
This is where I swam:
There were only a few hardy kids paddling around when I went into the water (the water is pretty nippy all year round, but nothing for one who is accustomed to swimming at St Clair!) but I think I started a trend as soon everyone was leaving their little rocky picnic spots and plunging into the green. Sublime! And I'm glad I only saw the schools of little pink jellyfish after I got out.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

When I was in France the locals didn't need a second invite to get their kit off and go into the water. I guess it depends where abouts in France you are.

Jon said...

Ever seen 'Evil under the sun?' This beach is a dead ringer for the one in the movie!

sophie said...

Scotty: the water was cold for the Frenchies, that's why they needed a little encouragement, but yes I think in summer there's no stopping them.
Jon: I have not seen the film, sounds scary. But I do think that beach would be an excellent place to shoot a movie.