Tuesday, October 23, 2007

trop gourmand.


Helloooo. I'm just engrossed in watching my favourite French television program. There are not many good ones out there, but I like to try and and watch some telly to learn new vocab and 'train my ear'. This 'emission' is about an Austrian chef who drives around France in her red VW beetle learning to cook traditional French dishes in their region of origin. She always has to hunt out ingredients from the local farmers and butchers, go foraging on salt marshes for herbs, don bee-keeping gear, pluck the pigeons etc. It shows the lovely rural side of France.
And because, as Alice told me today, I am too gourmande, I need a snack when I'm watching the box. Tonight it was macaroons. Oh yum.

These are the mini variety, and I have a whole box of them which I will try to make last as long as possible. I have raspberry, pistachio, chocolate, vanilla and coffee. They are perfectly flakey on the outside and soft and gooey inside. You can find macaroons in most boulangeries but a few of the big names in patisseries do them REALLY well. Ladurée are supposed to be the best, and they come in about 20 different flavours but mine are Le Notre and also very good. Come to Paris and I'll take you out to try some.
In other news, Paris is cooling down rapidly, but still very beautiful with all the autumn colours. One more week until the clocks go back and we are plunged into darkness, ugh. Only 3 more days of school and then it's 2 weeks of holiday! Which means about 12 days off for me.
And I'm going to spend 4 days of it in Sicily!
More on that later, now I have some macaroons to eat.

2 comments:

Mrs Holman said...

oh my goodness I was drooling, well still am.

Anonymous said...

Great close ups. Another holiday again! Lucky you!