Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Blitzen, Boating and Balkan Beats



I have returned from a really great long-weekend in Berlin. It was so lovely to see family and to discover a little more of a really fabulous city. The weather swung wildly between hot stillness and violent storms, but it was perfect really. When it was hot we swam in the lovely rainwater lake amongst the lush green forest.

When it was stormy...
It all began when we sat down for dinner on the terrace on Friday night. We had seen the black clouds gathering, and now, as we loaded our plates the sky grew very dark and the thunder began to rumble. A brisk rustling of leaves was the only warning we had before the storm was upon us. Those of us sitting with our backs to the elements leaped up as the rain began, and seconds later the wall of wind sent everything flying. We were almost all inside when an almighty crack sent half a tree crashing onto the terrace, right were we had been sitting. It was one of the most impressive displays of weather I've ever seen. The poor neighbourhood took a bit of a beating, and it was definitely the end of our meal.

The sun was out again the next day and we hopped on a sightseeing boat down the Spree. I'll let the photos do the talking.


So much cool architecture, I think it is a city which does a marvelous job of both preserving it's past and looking to the future. And how about those people on bikes, Germany certainly is leagues ahead of France when it comes to respecting our planet!
Speed polka anyone?
Yes I must just mention the amazing Russian Disco that we went to on Saturday evening. It was in a dim bar with a kind of shabby retro decor (anyone seen Goodbye Lenin? If you're a geek like me you might remember pre 'fall-of-the-wall' wallpapers and upholstery, it was the same kind of thing) and music to make you move. Sweaty and packed but so much fun! Look out for one opening in Lyttleton sometime in the future, (S & J - a little advanced publicity for you guys.)
It wasn't long enough and the pouring rain in Paris didn't make coming home much fun, but I know I'll be back and in the meantime I'll try to learn a little German...ya das ist wahr.

4 comments:

MALC0LM said...

Hey soph. great post.
I assume you have come across this before. if not - enjoy.

http://www.christojeanneclaude.net/wr.html

I loved the east west contrast and the strip of new buildings around potsdamer platz. good times to be had in what is a great city

Jenn said...

ive seen 'goodbye lenin' and totally remember the decor - wicked! heres the sum total of my german - "ich leiber dich". I learnt that in 5th form when I had a crush on a german speaking guy. sad huh!

Scotty said...

German efficiency comes through again! I am off to Lyttleton to conduct user trials next month. You should head to the tennis, if it has stopped raining. I know a few guys going. Then the Tour de France.

Miss Jackson said...

gah. i need to get out of duds town.