Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Faire le Pont

Let's just leave the feet for a minute while I give you a little French lesson.
May in France is the month of public holidays, tomorrow is the third so far this month, and falls on a Thursday. In fact so far they have all fallen on a Tuesday or Thursday - and what is one to do with this mid-week break? You faire le pont and take off the Friday too, giving you a 4-day weekend. Faire le Pont literally means to 'make the bridge', so you're just bridging that pesky little day between you and the weekend by not going to work. Apparently May is a difficult month for businesses, and I can understand why. Long lesson short, this weekend je fait lepont. Not sure yet what I will do with all this time, but no doubt it will be good.
Back to those feet, we (Irish friend Caro and I) did a lot of Salsa dancing this weekend and I also learnt the Bachata, which sounds more fancy than it actually is. But the most beautiful songs seem to have the Bachata beat, so it's good to know.
In other weekend happenings I managed to catch the one afternoon of sun to go running along the Seine, and I was pleasantly surprise to see many fish, hopefully proving that it's not as polluted as I thought. I still wouldn't eat them though.
The weather really turned on Sunday, bringing level 3 storms (this is totally arbitrary as I have no idea what the other level represent, I just saw it on TV) to the region. On Sunday I left the house to trot the 500m or so to the Boulangerie. From what I could see the sky was blue, so a t-shirt was deemed acceptable. Seconds after leaving the shop, my fresh and unprotected baguette in hand, the skies opened and there was an incredible - almost horizontal -downpour. All around startled and soaking people were running for cover, branches were being ripped off trees and poor baguette was really soggy. Just looked at the time and realised I need to run to work asap! Another post soon.

5 comments:

Jon said...

Wow, do you think blog surfing is all Biby Cletus does?

Horizontal showers? Really, really ushjmaking; I thought sideways snow was bad!

I must admit, I'm intrigued by the sound of this Bachata...

Scotty said...

This biby cletus is the man. Sounds like you had soggy bread.

jessIe said...

WOW. Is there acid rain in Paris?

sophie said...

Jessie: there was actually an item on the news this evening about polluted rain in France (not quite 'acid' but nasty stuff). It was down South somewhere and people got really sick after eating veges from their garden and they showed the leaves of the plants which we all brown and shriveled. I don't think we get the acid variety in Paris though.

jessIe said...

geepers!