Saturday, June 16, 2007

overload

What a dramatic title, but it kind of sums up a little of how I am feeling. I think that perhaps I have some kind of virus, I haven't really been myself for about 4 days, but have felt obliged to keep working. Stupid of me probably but I hate to disappoint people and I find calling in for a sick day really hard to do! Today though I can't stay standing for more than ten minutes so I sucked it up and said I needed the day off. And of course my darling employer was entirely sympathetic and offered to help in any way she could. Why was I worried?
So this week has been pretty horrible from a health point of view but at least the kids were well behaved and now I have 3 days to recover the best I can. Bring on the holidays. I feel the dire need to get out of the city.
Can you see the ocean from your house? Go now and gaze upon it. Is there a climbable tree in your garden? Go and clamber into the branches. Do you have a dog? Take him or her to the beach and run in bare feet along the sand. Oh to climb a hill or do a handstand or pick a wild flower. My dreams are filled with waves and forests and treetops, because I can't have any of them here in Paris. I love this city and it constantly surprises and delights me but it's hard not to feel a little like a caged bird when I compare it with the wide open spaces of home.
And here finish the melancholic ramblings of bed-bound Sophie.
Maybe I'm just bitter because I'm going to miss out on a fun-filled weekend in order to be sensible and take care of myself.
Last weekend was awesome, we went out to a Jazz festival at the Chateau de Vincennes. People were picnicking and lounging on the grass and it was hot. It was quite blissful to lie on the grass and listen to jazz in the warm evening air. Here are some pics:

3 comments:

Scotty said...

I really miss the warmth at the moment. Even Wellington has winter!

I hope you are better, but it is hard to know whether you are imagining being ill or not. I have come to the conclusion that it is better to be feeling bad in bed than at work! Still it is a hassle getting out of bed to call the boss anyway rest is the best cure!

jessIe said...

AWA SOPH.

get. well. soon.

praying 4 u.

xo

Mrs Holman said...

those of us picking wildflowers/doing the garden/gazing at Mt Cargill are dreaming of Paris! Hope you're better now!