Tuesday, July 3, 2007

got a light?

The French love to smoke. I know , I can't just tar (wheehehe, I'm too much) everyone with the same brush, but I'm sure that in the 15-35 age group we're looking at about 60% smokers. In any case, you only need to look down when you're on the street to see the hundreds of cigarette butts, and breathe deeply to smell the tobacco in the air. So many people I see have a cigarette as an extension of their hand or lower lip, or a tell-tall square box in their back pocket.

Something I've been noticing a lot lately is how this disgusting habit facilitates a whole world of flirting and innuendo. I have some girlfriends who are smokers, although they seldom have a full packet, and they never have a lighter or matches. The act of asking for a 'clope' or a 'feu' is carefully thought out. I watch in amusement as the crowd is scanned, and any good looking fellow smokers are picked out. Once the target is selected, smokerette hovers closer, lashes lowered, cigarette poised between fingers; a damsel in distress. In the best case scenario, beau smoker will notice lack of fire and approach, lighter at the ready. Faces lean towards one another, a few words are exchanged in a puff of smoke, smokerette feels pampered and knight in smoky armor feels chivalrous. Win win.
You also know that when a guy asks you for a light, they're hoping that they can strike up conversation, perhaps you'll turn out to be a smoker too and you can stand together awhile in your intimate fug of carcogens. Today as I walked home from the supermarket, a beau gosse pulling out of his driveway slowed, leaned out of his window and asked 'do you have a light?' I gave my usual 'sorry I don't smoke' line, to which he slowly winked and drove off.
Oh the French.
Also spotted today, a glossy black delivery van with Fanny Saga written in cursive gold script across the side. I can't even imagine.

1 comment:

Scotty said...

Yeah I knew I should've taken up smoking in my stint in France. You have to admire their openness though. It is the James Bond thing to do for a guy.

I hear the anti smoking law is coming to France. That will be interesting. I think a third of adults smoke, which is crazy. I still see it as a turn off. It is still considered sexy though!