Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Monumenta

Today I visited an exhibition at the Grand Palais; it was called 'Monumenta' and featured the monumental works of German/French artist, Anselm Kiefer. The paintings and sculptures were dedicated to two poets, and lines of their writing featured in many of the pieces.
I really liked what Kiefer himself had to say about his art (here kind of clumsily translated)

One must not understand what I want to say in my works. One must see something. One must see with ones own way of thinking, one's own background, and express what has been discovered. Each spectator must, in some way, finish the work with their regard.

You'll get an idea from the photos, but for each of the works, Keifer constructed a huge corrugated building to house it. Quite awesome to enter the exhibition space and see these huge cartons and then enter each one expectantly.
I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.





No comments: