Saturday, July 7, 2007

Ribs


I had my chest x-rayed today.

Yes indeedy, this morning I travelled way down to the south of Paris for a medical examination. Just one of the many steps in the lengthy process to get my residency permit.
I was supposed to turn up with a history of my vaccinations and hospital visits as well as a chest x-ray. I had none of these things, but knowing how long it could take to get another appointment decided to try and bluff my way through it.
On arrival at the Office for International Migration, a pile of papers was thrust into my hands and I was ushered into the 'medical visits' waiting room. It was a large room decorated in tasteful mint green (is this the international colour for 'something medical will take place here'?) with cubicles laid out in a circular fashion. The whole procedure was a bit like being on a factory line, and took no more than 15 minutes.

Step 1: present pile of papers to the nurse at reception.
Step 2: enter first cubicle, remove shoes and get weighed and measured.
Step 3: enter second cubicle, cover left eye and read the top line, repeat with the right.
Step 4: enter third cubicle, strip and don a stylish navy hospital gown.
Step 5: be summoned by the radiologist, take a big breathe and get zapped.
Step 6: re-dress, wait on the bench until your x-ray is developed, and then hope that the next free doctor is not the scary looking giant barbie who you spotted on arrival.
Step 7: enter fourth cubicle, that of friendly, chatty doctor, prattle on about NZ and hope that she'll just start checking the boxes. She does, and even lets the vaccinations that you 'may have had at 16 but I can't remember...' slide.
Step 8: Exit building with a stamped and signed medical certificate and a chest x-ray for my wall.
For once something was relatively easy! And the French can rest assured that I didn't bring any contagious pulmonary diseases into their country.

2 comments:

Scotty said...

It sounds like a real cultural experience. A good test of your French vocab ability.

Anonymous said...

so does that mean you're not coming back to nz... shock horror!