Friday, August 3, 2007

A wonderful holiday

I'm back in Paris, feeling refreshed and fit, but missing my newly discovered Austrian family.
The last three weeks in Styria, and then Vienna were so wonderful, much more than I could have hoped for, somehow jam-packed while being incredibly relaxing.

For those of you who don't know my family history, my grandfather is Austrian, but has lived in NZ for over 50 years now. His family still live in and around Schladming, the little village where he was born and grew up. The legend of Willi Huber lives on, and everywhere I went I was introduced as his granddaughter and there was nodding and reminiscing and I was instantly accepted into the fold - though scolded for never having learned German!

It was so special to visit the farm where he grew up; gaze upon the formidable rockfaces which he climbed with his buddies, visit the alpine meadows where he was a shepherd during the summer months. There are many similarities between the countryside in NZ and Austria, so I felt very at home and reveled in the fresh air and water. I took ALOT of photos, so I'll put some up here, and more if you follow my photo link, and write some more later!


1 comment:

Scotty said...

So much like Switzerland and those dresses look so traditional. Reminds me of up around Queenstown.