Thursday, September 20, 2007

The lazy bloggeuse

Yes, I have been a lazy blogger this last wee while! Here are some snippets of what I've been up to lately...

This is the big screen they have put up in front of the Hotel de Ville (town hall). It is here that I have settled down on the artificial turf to watch the All Blacks compete in the Rugby World Cup. It's always a good atmosphere and there are always some other Kiwi's around.

Had Jenny come to stay last weekend (she has a couple of pics up on her blog), which was so much fun. Because she will be coming back through Paris on the last leg of her travels, there was no stress to see all of the must-see sights. Instead we contented ourselves with a lot of 'must-eat' items, shopping, people-watching, dancing, flea-markets and general catching up.
Our actions on Saturday were slightly impeded by the annual Techno Parade. Literally thousands and thousands of young people poured down the main streets, following the floats which were blasting out dance music. It was quite jaw dropping; crossing the street involved waiting for a slow moving section of the procession, and making a run for it, trying not to get hit by the flailing limbs of a spaced-out, gyrating teenager.
Here are some snaps of the crowd:
I wish you could hear the music to go with it, it was soooo loud. And as with every year, the parade acts as a vehicle for raising awareness of an issue. This year the issue was 'Save the Planet.' However as the enormous trucks pumped out their toxic exhaust fumes, and the litter piled up in the gutters I couldn't help but feeling that they were only adding to the problem!

And some flowers at the market.
Tomorrow morning the children's parents are off for short trip to Rome, so I will be sole-charge for 3 days. We'll spend at least 24h at the Grandparents holiday house, and the rest of the time will just be pretty fun, lots of videos and icecream I think!
I have a day off today to compensate for missing my weekend, so soon I'm going to go and meet up with my cousin and do some wandering while the weather is good.
ciao!

1 comment:

Scotty said...

I guess you put these things down to cultural experiences, hardly what you would see in George Street.