Wednesday, March 21, 2007

gourmande

Okay folks, just a quick wee post because I absolutely most go to bed soon! (It's past midnight here.)
The week is going well, I seem to have shaken off my cold am feeling much better. The weather is dreadful here right now; snow, sleet, hail and hand-chapping temperatures. But after this spring arrives...or so all the Parisians keep telling me.
Tonight the children had their 'spectacle', which was like a school concert but very brief. Either this is just the French way of doing things or my childhood memories of our school concerts are somewhat warped. Now that I reflect, it must be a cultural difference because I've watched the videos of my primary school concerts and they are loooong.
So after the concert we celebrated the birthday of the children's mother with delicious cake and champagne (the real stuff from Champagne!) After putting the kids to bed we adults sat down for our meal (at 10.30pm. I'm slowly adjusting to the mediteranean timetable) I have to write about it because it was so incredible; scallops covered with freshly grated coconut, asparagus and chicken with black truffles - the truffles amazing experience in themselves! - fresh bread, cheese platter, and for desert an 'opera', a cake with layer upon layer of yummy things, garnished with gold leaf. oh wow.
Next Friday the family want me to cook them a 'typically Kiwi meal', gulp. I am thinking roast lamb and pavalova - any other ideas people? I feel the need to impress somewhat after all the incredible food they have been feeding me!

10 comments:

Jenn said...

you must put kiwifruit on top of the pav. and serve it with too much cream and some tinned fruit salad. bleugh..
Im sure a roast would impress though. who doesn't love a good old roast? try and get some kumara if you can. thats about as NZ as it gets. its a shame we don't have a delicious traditional dish aye.
actually speaking of traditional..its girl guide biscuit season, maybe i could send you over some!

Scotty said...

I am thinking lamb and pavlova. The ingredients for pavs are very hard to find in Europe. My Mum was trying to make pavs for my bro's wedding cake in Sweden and couldn't find the right ingredients. Needless to say experimentation can get messy!
Just go for something you love too. Lamb, potatoes etc should be great. Yeah food is an artform over there!

Hugh said...

Soph, you're in luck. BB gave me a book called "New Zealand on a Plate" with recipes from top NZ chefs.

How about Crayfish and Smoked Salmon Mousse layered between sesame and poppy seed sponge, drizzled with a lemon and tomato vinaigrette? Then for mains, Ginger Honey-Glazed Lamb Racks with saffron Gruyère, potato galettes and green beans. And for dessert Espresso Quark Slice with berries. Serve with a nice NZ white.

Just ask if you want some recipes!

Jon said...

Because us NZers experience Gryuere and Quark Slice most weeknights. Show them how classy we are!

I say shepherd's pie. Easy and Kiwi. And Jenn's idea for dessert.

Anonymous said...

Just give them each a pie and some beers. or greasy fush and chups

Anonymous said...

Just give them each a pie and some beers. or greasy fush and chups

Anonymous said...

I so didnt tell it to publish that twice....

Scotty said...

Make it a half cold Jimmy's pie, Speights and some greasy chips covered in Watties tomoato sauce. For desert how about some hokey pokey ice cream and instant pudding. Now that's classy!

Jenn said...

barbequed precooked sausies which are charcoal on the outside and still frozen in the middle, with white bread and soggy coleslaw with sultanas in it? followed by traffic light jelly.

jessIe said...

garnished with gold leaf?! Youre kidding right? no way....

goash!

yes, roast + roast veges.

sounds very intence...dunno if I could handle that much pooash food!

ye-ah. cant wait to see you slash get outa the smelly delI!

xoxo loves