Sunday, March 11, 2007

musings and wanderings



Blue was the sky over Paris today, and it was delightful.

I took a promenade this morning along the Canal St Martin, pausing a while on the bank to read and watch the world go by. The canal was very interesting in it's variety. I'm not sure if you can make them out in the photo but there are red tents lining the banks of the canal for about 150m on either side. These have been provided by the government as 'housing' for the homeless. Although as for who gets first dibs I'm not sure how it is controlled. People were cooking outside them and generally going about their lives, while just metres away on the other side of the street, well-heeled Parisians were lunching at pavement tables. It was quite surreal, like an orderly slum? I
'm not really sure how to describe it. I saw one old man being lifted into an ambulance, it was really sad, he looked so alone and defeated.
It was too warm to be on the metro so I walked for a couple of hours to get back to the 1st arrondissement. Here I inadvertently stumbled into what was the absolute opposite of the morning's scene. It was a section of rue St Honoré which was dripping in fur and diamonds. Gucci, Chanel, Cartier, Dior; all perfectly gleaming spaces with cloned sales assistants and generally only one immaculate client being shown the latest in 24 carat beach towels. How ridiculous. There was so much wealth and no one looked in the least bit happy about it.

I'm back home resting up now before salsa. Although to be honest my eyes are drooping and I might continue the book instead.

6 comments:

Scotty said...

So by the looks of things you are mastering the self photo. I almost couldn't tell! Been there and haven't mastered that!

Anonymous said...

Sitting in class today I observed that 4 colour pens are made in France.
You live in a amazing country, four colour pens are almost as amazing as the preaching jacket.

Almost.

I love the integration of french words into your blog! Have you stumbled accross my flash car owning, french fashion company employee, parisian friend?
Man its so hardcore how rich and poor can be so close... blows my mind, wonder how it makes the homeless feel seeing all those diamonds etc.. crazy.


heart you soph.
miss your face, wish you were here to grab a soy latte with my at Jerrys. He misses you!
r

jessIe said...

bonjour.

lov'n your blog full of french-goodness.

mwah.

Mrs Holman said...

Salut Sophie
I don't mean to be demanding but I'm ready for a blog update!
Gros bisous (did I spell that right!?)

Ryan said...

diamond beachtowels, priceless!!! hope you had your mastercard handy

Anonymous said...

Hey Sophie we had ur blog on the big screen at highway tonight!
Some of the crazy kids want to say hi.
We miss you and ur crazy games at highway! Mel
Hey hope you're having an awesome time - but of course you are, why wouldn't you! Miss you! - Anna
Guten Abend hows the city of love going for you. Can you import some frenchies for me, i know your missing me just like im missing you eww that was so cheesy. Have fun -Abigail Ruth Uttley
Hey hey Sophie Im really enjoying Hiway at the moment. Hope your having a great time in France, enjoying all the great sites and your new job.Aure voi. I hope thats how you spell it.!!!-Anna-lisa Grace Uttley.
hey soph!!!
its annelise lawrie here,man i miss you sooo much and your wonderful presence in highway, and hope you are having a good day!!hows the family?love reading your awesome emails and stuff....anyways g2g people want 2 write here and im taking my time writing 2u...love always annelise xox
hey sophie we miss you at highway so much!!!hope you are having a good time in france and your family is good!god bless love shang-chin xoxo(or maybe il be french n say je t'embrasse!)
Hey soph , nath there! cool pics you have posted on the web,hope its all going 2 plan 4 you and your getting along with your family. take care :)